He told me that he had a rock in his ear. I asked him how it got there and he told me he put it in there at school. So I come home and told Dale and we proceeded to try and get it out. We tried using tweezers but the rock was too tight in his ear to get the tweezers around it. I called his Dr. (it was 9:00 at night) and she suggested taking him to the ER because the longer it was left in, the more irritated it would be and make it harder to get out. I didn't want to pay for the ER so I took him to an instant care. BIG mistake! They first tried flushing it out with water and then tried to get it out with tiny forceps. In doing this, they actually pushed it back further so it was resting right on his ear drum. The whole time he is crying and screaming and trying to get away. They gave up and told me I should take him to an ENT the next day. Well that was a fun night. He was in a lot of pain and was crying all night. He ended up in our room and of all times to be out of Motrin, this was not the time I would of picked. I had to give him adult Tylenol. For those of you who know Jaxon, giving him a pill is like...I have no idea what to compare it to, but it's hard. So it's 2:00 in the morning and I'm feeding him ice cream to get him to swallow this pill. I also gave him Benedryl in hopes that he would sleep:) In the morning, it took several calls to find an ENT that would fit him in. Luckily, the one who agreed to see him was at Jordan Valley which is way close to home. This time I told Dale he had to come since I knew Jaxon was going to go balistic! I had no idea how bad this was going to turn out. The ENT worked on getting that blankety blank rock out of his ear for 2 hours. Not because the rock was to lodged in there to get but because Jaxon was freaking out so bad. Every time the Dr. came near him, he would cry and put his hands up to his ear. We tried pinning him but that didn't work either. Dale, the nurse and I all held him down and he still got away from our hold. By this time both Dale and I were very frustrated because we couldn't understand why he couldn't just hold still for 20 seconds to get it out. I know you're thinking that we finally got it out. WRONG! We had to go to a surgical center the next day and have him put to sleep to get a tiny rock out of his ear. So this dumb little rock that he put in his ear took us 3 days and over $1,000 to get it out! The picture shows how little the rock was (if you can even see it) and it's sitting in front of one of those hospital bands. Can you believe it? So tell your kids this story so that they won't ever even think of putting a rock in their ear! Dale has given Jaxon the nickname "Rocky", hence the title of this post.
Highlights with Arthur - Week 4 cont.
1 year ago
1 comment:
I can't believe i'm just finding out about this now. What a nightmare.
Post a Comment