Friday, February 1, 2008

There is nothing, that I have experienced so far, that has made me feel more like a horrible mother than getting my 3 year olds teeth fixed! Ever since he could drink from a sippy cup, Kyson has loved Orange juice. It's so hard not to give him something he wants so much. Anyway, his top two front teeth have nice little holes at the top of them from sipping on the sippy cup and we had to have caps put on them. The appointment was at 11:00 am and he couldn't eat or drink after midnight the night before. That made for a rough morning! He was so sad that he couldn't have any orange juice and anything that anyone did or said set him into a crying episode. The first picture is of him sulking by the couch.
By the time we got to the dentist, he was happy because our dentist has the most wonderful office and he had plenty to do to keep him distracted. The anasteasiologist (sp?) came into the lobby to give him the shot that put him to sleep. I held him on my lap while they distracted him by letting him pick out a prize...then they stabbed him in the arm! I didn't like this method. It's like...here, have a toy. Pshye...it's really a needle in the arm! He would have done better being prepared. Oh well. So the dentist said he'll get sleepy in just a minute. They weren't kidding! about 30 seconds later he started to tip over and the dentist said "He's going, don't let him fall off your lap." Kyson kept staring at me like he didn't know who I was. Then the dentist took him back and left us in the lobby to listen to that horrible drilling noise. More guilt! After they were done, he never really woke up all the way before we took him home. He just moaned and made funny noises.
He stayed asleep for about 2 hours then woke up crying and asking for OJ. He had 2 glasses and downed them. Then he went in and out of sleep for another hour. He kept feeling his new teeth with his tongue and said something is in my mouth. I explained that they were his new teeth. He said "I don't love them!"
After about 2 more hours he got off the couch and had a banana and some noodles and actually smiled. Now he's back to his happy cute little self with bright white teeth that look like chiclets!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Susan - I'm so sorry you had to go through that. NOT FUN!