Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The summer of work

Katie always loved to help.  She loved to do whatever Jake and Kyson were doing
At the beginning of the summer, I decided that this was going to be the summer that my kids learned how to work.  Of coarse, they were not excited about my decision.  I made a calendar and had jobs listed for each day of the week except Saturday and Sunday.  Every week it was the same thing so they could know what to expect.  For example, on Tuesdays we weeded.  On Thursday and Friday they got to pick their job from a list of jobs that I posted on the fridge.  There was some complaining, but for the most part, they did really well!  Most days they got up and cleaned their room because that was a job that they had to do every day.  I really want my kids to know how to work so that when they are on their own someday, they won't go into total shock!




One day Jaxon was trying to earn the privilege of going to play laser tag.  I told him he could either clean out the window wells or clean the stove.  He picked the stove....and regretted it!

Jadon and Kierra both had jobs this summer so it was harder for them to get jobs done but they did it and rarely complained.

Jake and Kyson always worked together.  Weeding was their least favortie but at least they got it done!

Jake cleaning the fronts of the doors, Kyson cleaning the backs.

This was my favorite job that got done.  Kyson chose to match up all the socks that I had no matches for.  I keep them in the drawer under my dryer and just shove them in there when I find one with no match.  He spent a lot of time one day making matches.  He ended up with 121 pair of socks.  Just in time to start school!

3 comments:

The Byers Family said...

What a great idea! I also love that Jaxon did the stove (and realized cleaning isn't always as easy as it looks ;)

The Byers Family said...

ARGH! Sometimes I hate the way this comment thing is set up. I had a comment typed up and then when I hit submit it kicked me out so here we go again...

I think this is a great idea! I love that Jaxon chose to clean the stove and then found out it's always as easy as it looks!

Lisa said...

Great job! I totally failed in that department this summer.