
Two days after Christmas, our basement flooded. Today it is officially all put together...finally! On Dec. 27th, Dale and I were getting ready to go to the temple with his Mom. We were just about to walk out the door when Jadon said "Dad, the floor is all wet in the basement!" He had gone downstairs to get something to show Gladys before we left. It's a good thing that he did. I can't imagine what he would have done if he noticed it while we were gone and he couldn't get ahold of us. Needless to say, we didn't go to the temple. Dale ran downstairs and saw that our hose had been left on and was in Jadon's window well. Jadon turned off the hose and we quickly changed our clothes and started trying to figure out how to get all the water out of our basement. We didn't know what to do. Gladys called Darrell. He works for ECR, a company that cleans up floods and fires. He, and his friend, Ben saved us.

Darrell came over and told us what we needed to do. Luckily, his friend Ben was able to come over with all the equipment to help us get the water out of our house. All the black garbage bags are full of wet carpet pad. We ripped all the pad out of Jadon and Jaxon's room and the hallway.

Ben and Darrell hard at work determining how far the water went. Luckily, it didn't go into Dale's office.

We were in a frantic hurry to move everything out of Jaxon's and Jadon's rooms because everything was wet. We just shoved it all into the main room and Dale's office.

I was so disappointed because just that afternoon I had gotten all my Christmas boxes out so that I would be able to take Christmas down the next day. All of that stuff was immediately barried by all of their stuff.

Darrell has a cool little tool that detects water in the walls. They determined that there was enough water in the walls that they needed to take off all the baseboards and drill holes in the walls to let the water dry out.

Each room had about 5 huge, loud, noisy fans that were on all day and night so that the carpet would dry. They were on for 3 days straight. All I can say is that I was soooooo relieved the day they were turned off and it was quiet again.

This is how Jadon and Jaxon slept for over a week. Jaxon liked sharing a room with Jadon but Jadon got frustrated because his stuff was scattered everywhere and he didn't know where anything was.

After everything was dry, we had new pad put in and the carpets cleaned and put back down. Dale and Darrell put the baseboards back on and repainted them. They also had to repaint parts of the walls because of water damage to the paint. We finally were able to move all of their things back into their rooms! Yay!

When the carpet cleaners came, we had them clean some of the carpet upstairs as well. We have some places where the carpet is really loose so we decided to have them stretch the carpet and make it tight again. This caused a whole new project for me. I had to completely empty the rooms so they could do this. I didn't take a picture, but my room was full of everything from the upstairs. I did get it all put back together in one day and I am really happy because everything is so nice and organized now. I'm sure we will never forget when our basement flooded. I am happy everything is back to normal again and I am so thankful to Darrell for everything he did for our family!
No comments:
Post a Comment