Sunday, May 6, 2012

No more tonsils!


 A little while ago I decided to take Jake to the doctor because he always snores really loud and he's been really tired.  The ENT said that he had very large tonsils and adnoids and recommended that we take them out.  I decided we better do it now because I've heard so many people say that the recovery is worse the older you get.  Jake's only concern with this surgery was how the the doctors would be able to wake him up if they gave him medicine to make him fall asleep.  He had a really hard time waking up after surgery.  I even tickled him and he didn't flinch.  He slept all the way home and then was awake the rest of the day. The doctor told us he would be be pretty groggy for the next day and then on day 3 he would probably be in a lot of pain for a few days. Well that didn't happen.  He acted normal and didn't complain at all.  I explained the pain rating scale and kept asking what his pain level was.  He never said it was above a 2.  He acted completely normal for the first 6 days.  I was excited because I thought he was only going to miss a week of school and we were going to sail through this thing.  Boy was I wrong.  Day 7 hit and he was a completely different kid.  He cried all day because his throught hurt really bad.  The doctors said day 10 would be really bad because the scabs would be falling off.  I'm guessing that his scabs started falling off on day 7 because of the drastic change in his mood.  We had to keep the TV on all day because if he was distracted by the TV, he didn't cry quite as much.  The pain lasted for 3 or 4 days and then he started feeling better.  When I brought up the idea of going back to school, he started crying and saying he was still sick.  Once he made it through the night without asking for any medication and he wasn't asking for any medicataion during the day, I decided it was time to go back.  Exactly two weeks after his surgery, I had to force him to go back to school. He was crying and telling me that he wasn't going. It was a friday so I told him the day won't be as long.  I also told him he wouldn't be able to go swimming at Crystal Hot Springs if he didn't go to school.  That did the trick.  He reluctantly left for the bus stop.  After he made it through the day of school, he was fine.  No more medicine.  No more ice packs.  No more complaining.  Eating all foods.  Back to playing with Kyson.  Jake was back!

One of the first things he ate, was chocolate pudding.  When I saw him, I thought he threw up.  He must have still been a little numb while he was eating it.

Jake and Jaxon playing video games




Poor kid!  The pain finally hit hard on day 7!

Finally some relief!

All better and going back to school

2 comments:

Lisa said...

glad to see him doing better!

The Byers Family said...

This brings back memories of when I had my tonsils taken out :( POOR JAKE! That first picture and then the pain picture just makes me hurt for him! I'm so glad it's over!