Monday, August 4, 2014

Girl's camp 2014

Jen and I in our Adventure is out there hats
This is the 2nd year that I was the assistant camp director for our ward.  After camp last year, the camp director, Jen Crane, and I decided that we wanted to go somewhere with a kitchen.  I suggested our cabin.  We decided that would be a great idea.  So we have been planning camp at the cabin for the last year.  Our theme this year was "Look up" and we tied it to the Disney movie "UP". 
Our group at the top of the hike.  We are standing on a cliff but you can't tell because of the fog.
Because I am familiar with the area that we were going to be camping in, I volunteered to find a hike that the group would be going on.  Several weeks before camp I took my family on 4 different hikes trying to find the perfect hike!  It was very stressful because I knew that so many of the girls didn't enjoy hiking so I didn't want it to be a miserable experience for them.  However, I didn't want it to be too easy either.  I wanted them to see that they could do hard things and enjoy it. 
Kierra and Sarah Grow hiked out to the island on the lake
After talking to the leaders to get their opinion, I decided to do the Blood lake hike.  It rained pretty much the whole day the day we got to camp.  We had scheduled the hike for the 2nd day in the morning.  Some of the leaders wanted to cancel the hike but I really felt like we should still do it.  When it was time to leave, it wasn't raining but it was pretty wet.  I decided to go check it out before we took the girls up there.  A few leaders and I drove up there and discovered that not only was it not muddy, but it was beautiful!  It was foggy and it made the mountain look magical.
"Look Up!"
The girls ended up loving the hike and had a great time.  It was so much fun to hear them talk about how fun the hike was and to see them smile as they hiked.  I loved it!
Because of the rain, we had to move all of the activities we had planned for outside in to the cabin.  One of the main things we had planned for outside was all the crafts.  It was pretty crazy to have 34 girls painting and crafting in the cabin but it worked and we all had fun.
Our 7 YCL's
We had 7 Youth Camp Leaders to help with our planning of camp.  Each YCL was in charge of 5-6 girls.  They were in a tent together and helped cook and clean up the meals.  It was fun to work with these girls.
All 34 girls that came to camp

The girls with the awards that the YCL's gave out at the end of camp

All the girls and the leaders after all the tents were taken down, the cabin was cleaned and we were packed up and ready to go home.  We had such a great time and made some great memories!
All of the leaders and Kierra, the photo bomber.  I love being part of the Young Women's!  I have such a great time with these women.  We have so much fun together especially when we are sleep deprived and it's late at night.  I hope I get the chance to go to camp again sometime!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

what an awesome camp! I wish you were in our ward and we could be in YW together :)